Monday, September 10, 2007

The Islamic Mind

I went to live and work in Saudi Arabia in 1998, and I "made my year" as expats there put it. That phrase means that I actually stuck out the whole year, instead of "running" from my contract, an occurrence so common that you only have to say "he did a runner" to explain why someone isn’t showing up for work anymore.

In Eastern Europe and the South Balkans, whenever I have gone to live in a place about which I had formed opinions, the actual experience of living there always radically changed those opinions, sometimes into completely contradictory ones. Most often, my academic research led me to form a beautifully coherent model, which experience turned into a semi-coherent collection of observations and tentative conclusions.

In the case of the Kingdom, I went there with a certain sympathy for Arab grievances, a belief that America had earned a lot of hostility from "blowback" from our ham-handed interventionist foreign policy and support for Israel etc.

I came back with the gloomy opinion that over the long run we are going to have to hammer these people hard to get them to quit messing with Western Civilization. And by the way, among "rational, fair-minded" non-interventionist libertarians, not a damn one of them has asked me, "What in your experience caused you to change your mind?" Instead what I get are gratuitous insults followed by insufferably condescending lectures about how wrong I am.

More here

Meanwhile in Iran, they are confiscating satellite dishes

No comments: